* One of the most diverse (rozmanitý) country in the World
* Lies in the southeast hemosphere
* Australia has enormous (obrovský) mountains in the southeast – Australian Alp –place where you can skiing – with the highest place in Australia – 2 228 meters Mount Kosciuszko
* Two biggest cities on the southeast coast – Melbourne (4 mil) and Sydney (4,5mil)
* The Capital city is Canberra. Canberra is on halfway between Melbourne and Sydney
o Not interesting place – population about 350 000 people
* Aussie is divided into 6 states and 2 territories
* Australia has about 23 million people
* Australia always been part of the British Commonwealth
* Australia has a very similar political system like Great Britain or Czech government. Forexample it has both an upper and lower house of government.
* BUT! Australian elections are different because voting is compulsory for everyone over the age of 18 at very election. If you dont vote, you can be fined.
* Australian people have very free live, cause advantage of warm weather
o A Native inhabitants are Aboriginal
o On 18th 1788 eleven British ships arrived at Botany Bay (Sydney)
o Due to (=díky,kvůli) overcrowded prisons in Britain – the Fleet (flotila) was sent there in order (=nařídit) to create a penal colony (trestanecká kolonie)
o In 19 century came a lot of settlers from Britain a other countries and started with farming in Australia.
o In 1840, the transportation of convicts (trestanec) had stopped
o In 1850 started in Aussie gold rush. Australia has started be economical powerful country
* INTERESTED PLACES
o TWELVE APOSTLES
* World-famous place of rock formation in the south coast.
* It’s part of Great ocean road, which connect surfer resorts in the south Aussie
* Twelve apostoles were wrote to UNESCO list
* Apostoles are high 60 meters.
o Uluru / Ayers Rock is a large sandstone (pískovec) rock formation the Northern Territory in central Australia
* Uluru is 348 meters high
* Lies in Aboriginal area and Uluru is holy for them
* Near to Uluru you can find a lot of paintings
o GREAT BARRIER REEF
* Stretch (táhnout) along the east coast of Queensland
* Reef is under nature conservation (přírodní ochrana) of UNESCO
* Lies in Coral sea
* 2000 km on lenght and 150 km on width
* At the moment is reef in threat (hrozba) of red starfish