Australia is a state, which is surrounded by the Indian and Pacific Ocean. It covers whole are of the smallest continent Australia. Australia is located in south-west from Asia. The capital city is Canberra. Explored by James Cook. Peninsula colony in history.
Surface and Climate
- The biggest island Tasmania island.
- The highest peak is Kosciusko in the Great Diving Range.
- The longest river are Murrays and Darling.
- There are three big lakes: Lake Eyre, Lake Torrens and Lake Gardner.
- The centre and west of Australia is dominated by deserts.
- In the south-east and in the east parts there is the temperature climate and in the north Australia is a tropical climate. The west and central Australia is dry.
- only 22 million inhabitants
- the state of immigrants -most people from Europe (GB) after 2ndWW from east Europe, many Asians
- The original inhabitants are Aborigines, they live mostly in the north of Australia, social problem (gambling, alcoholism poverty…), today about 400 000 of Aborigines live in Australia.
- more than 60% Australians are Christian
- big cities Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane…
Political system and consist
- Australia is democratic and federal state. The formal head is queen Elisabeth II., who is represented by General Governor so Australia is a constitutional monarchy and member state of Commonwealth.
- It consists of 6 states(New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria..) and 2 major territories(Canberra, Northern territory).
- Parliament and government have seat in Canberra. The prime minister is Tony Abbotte.
- High developed state – the services are the most important
- The most important branches of industry are iron industry, textiles(Quiksilver), chemical industry.
- Mining of gold, iron, black and brown coal. Oil and gas production.
- Sheep and beef breading = It is the highest exporter of beef, lamb, wool.
- The national currency is the Australian dollar
- Rugby, cricket, surfing, diving
- Olympic games 2000
- Australian open – Melbourne
The places of interest
- Greet Barrier Reef- spectacular marine life, diving
- Ayers rock-big orange rock in central Australia, important for Aborigines
- Big cities – Melbourne, Sydney (Opera House)
- Australian beaches-surfing